Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Wanting


Try
Buy
The along awaited new Glenn Jones 2xlp, The Wanting on Thrill Jockey records. With his own style of open tunings and finger picking, Glenn Jones is possibly the best “American Primitive” or “Takoma school” guitarists around today after the passing of Jack Rose.

The Wanting explores some of the possibilities of open tunings. (I stopped playing in standard tuning more than 25 years ago now.) I’m always digging under rocks and looking for something new, unfamiliar, unknown. I can’t help it. The discovery of new tunings inevitably leads to new compositions, the composition being, for me, a way of navigating a new and unfamiliar terrain. The more I learn about a tuning, however, the more bored I become by it, and this boredom sends me scurrying, again, for something else. This is why almost every one of my compositions is in its own tuning. I invent a tuning, find a way to get from Point A to Point Z in it, and move on.”

The final track, “The Orca Grande Cement Factory at Victorville”, a 17 minute track in dedication to John Fahey, also sees Chris Corsano with a guest appearance on drums. The Wanting serves as Glenn Jones best outing yet. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment